2015 CREST Research Publications
Theme 1: Climate, Theme 2: Weather and Atmosphere, Theme 3: Land Processes and Water Resources, Theme 4: Coastal and Ocean Waters
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Kinney, P. L., Matte, T., Knowlton, K., Madrigano, J., Petkova, E., Weinberger, K., Quinn, A., Arend, M. and Pullen, J. (2015): New York City Panel on Climate Change 2015 Report Chapter 5: Public Health Impacts and Resiliency. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1336: 67–88.
- Solecki, W., Rosenzweig, C., Blake, R., de Sherbinin, A., Matte, T., Moshary, F., Rosenzweig, B., Arend, M., Gaffin, S., Bou-Zeid, E., Rule, K., Sweeny, G. and Dessy, W. (2015): New York City Panel on Climate Change 2015 Report Chapter 6: Indicators and Monitoring. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1336: 89–106.
- Wu, Y., Z. Han, C. Nazmi, B. Gross, F. Moshary, (2015): A trans-Pacific Asian Dust episode and its impacts to air quality in the east coast of U.S. Atmospheric Environment, Vol 106, p:358–368
- Blake, R.A., J. Liou-Mark, and R. D. Lansiquot, (2015): Promoting the Geosciences Among Grades 8–12 Minority Students in the Urban Coastal Environment of New York City. Journal of Geoscience Education. Vol. 63, No. 1, p:29-40.
- Hale, R.L., N. B. Grimm, C. J. Vörösmarty and B. Fekete, (2015): Nitrogen and phosphorus fluxes from watersheds of the Northeast U.S. from 1930–2000: Role of anthropogenic nutrient inputs, infrastructure, and runoff. Global Biogeochemical Cycles.
THEME I- CLIMATE
- Rossow, W.B., and J. Ferrier, 2015: Evaluation of long-term calibrations of the AVHRR visible radiances. J. Atmos. Ocean Tech., 32, 744-766.
- Li, J., B.E. Carlson, W.B. Rossow, A.A. Lacis and Y-C. Zhang, 2015: An intercomparison of the spatio-temporal variability of satellite and ground-based cloud datasets using spectral analysis techniques. J. Climate, (in press).
- Geogdzhayev, I.V., M.I. Mishchenko, J. Li, W.B. Rossow, L. Liu and B. Cairns, 2015: Extension and statistical analysis of the GACP optical thickness record, Atmos. Environ., (in press).
- Tan, J., C. Jakob, W.B. Rossow and G. Tselioudis, 2015: The role of organized deep convection in explaining observed tropical rainfall changes. Nature, 519, 451-454. doi:10.1038/nature14339
- Comarazamy, D. E., González, J. E., Moshary, F., and Piasecki, M. (2015), On the hydro-meteorological changes of a tropical water basin in the Caribbean and its sensitivity to changes in regional climate, J. Hydrometeorology.June 2015, pp. 997-1013., http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-14-0083.1
- P. Sequera, J.E. González, K. McDonald, R.D. Bornstein, and D. Comarazamy. (2015). Combined impacts of land-cover changes and large-scale forcing on Southern California summer daily maximum temperatures.J of Geophysical Res.-Atmosphere.DOI: 10.1002/2015JD023536.
- Equisha Glenn, Daniel Comarazamy, Jorge E. González, and Thomas Smith,. (2015). Detection of recent regional sea surface temperature warming in the Caribbean and surrounding region.J. of Geophysical Research-Letters. DOI: 10.1002/2015GL065002.
- Zachery Tessler, Charlie Vörösmarty, Michael Grossberg, Irina Gladkova, Hannah Aizenman, J ames Syvitski, and Efi Foufoula-Georgiou: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. Profiling risk and sustainability in coastal deltas of the world.. Science 08/2015; 349(6248):638-43. DOI:10.1126/science.aab3574
- Zachery Tessler, Charlie Vörösmarty, Michael Grossberg, Irina Gladkova, and Hannah Aizenmann, A global empirical typology of environmental change in deltas: anthropogenic drivers and implications for sustainable management. In Review, Sustainability Science
- Lesley Patrick, Physical Exposure, Socioeconomic Vulnerability, and Infrastructure at Risk to Current and Projected Coastal Flooding in New York City, dissertation, defended and deposited April 2015.
- Vant-Hull, B., M. Karimi, A. Sossa, J. Wisanto, R. Nazari, R. Khanbilvardi, 2014: “Fine Structure in Manhattan’s Daytime Urban Heat Island: a New Dataset”,J. Urban and Env. Eng., Vol 8 no 1. http://periodicos.ufpb.br/ojs2/index.php/juee/article/view/18081
- Karimi, M., R. Nazari, B. Vant-Hull, R. Khanbilvardi, 2015: “Urban Heat Island Assessment with Temperature Maps Using High Resolution Datasets Measured at Street Level”, J. of Constructed Environment.In Press.
- Vant-Hull, B., M. Karimi, A. Sossa, R. Khanbilvardi, 2015: A Simple Statistical Model for Predicting Fine Scale Spatial Temperature Variation in Urban Settings.American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, Sixth Symposium on Environment and Health, Phoenix, AZ. Recorded oral presentation. https://ams.confex.com/ams/95Annual/webprogram/Paper257722.html
- Equisha Glenn, Daniel Comarazamy, Jorge E. González, and Thomas Smith,. (2015).Detection of recent regional sea surface temperature warming in the Caribbean and surrounding region.J. of Geophysical Research-Letters. DOI: 10.1002/2015GL065002.This article was selected by EOS as a research spotlight given the importance of the findings.https://eos.org/research-spotlights/sea-surface-te...
- Maantay, J.A., and A.R. Maroko, 2015: ‘At-risk” places: Inequities in the distribution of environmental stressors. Environmental Research, 10, (16 pages).
- Sequera, Pedro Elias; Gonzalez, Jorge E.; McDonald, Kyle; LaDochy, Steve; Comarazamy, Daniel.Observed and modeled summer thermal gradients and sea-breeze in Southern California.Presented at the 9th International Conference of Urban Climatology (ICUC9), Toulouse, France, July 20-24, 2015.
- Zakkiyyah Shah “Climate Change and Urban Systems: Identifying Areas Susceptible to Flooding in San Juan Puerto Rico, Using Raster Analysis and GIS Integration Methods“ Association of American Geographers – April 21-27, 2015.
- Juliana Maantay "Assessing the 'Riskscape' - Exposure and Vulnerability from Projected Coastal Flooding in New York City." Climate in Context Conference at CUNY Graduate Center, March 13, 2015.
- Freddie Hsu, Tanis Torres, Arquimidez Hernandez, Cal State LA - "NOAA-CREST West Research Report on Urban Heat Islands", presented at the Satellites Educators Conference, Calif. State Univ., LA, July 25, 2015.
- F. Hsu, T. Torres, A. Magana, A. Hernandez, S. LaDochy, P. Ramirez, H. Ye, P. Sequera, and W.Patzert, Los Angeles Urban Heat Islands: Land Use, Pacific and Climate Change Influences, presented at California Geographic Society, Humboldt, CA, May 1-2, 2015.
- F. Hsu, T. Torres, A. Magana, A. Hernandez, S. LaDochy, P. Ramirez, H. Ye, P. Sequera, and W. C. Patzert, Climate Studies of the Los Angeles Urban Heat Islands, presented at the Los Angeles Geographic Society, Los Angeles, CA, May 8, 2015.
- Freddy Hsu, Tanis Torres presented their CoRP poster at the 50th Alumni reception at CSULA, Oct. 23rd, 2015, representing the research community of the whole campus.
- Innovative new analysis and mapping method “Bivariate Stepped Choropleth Map of Geographically-Weighted Regression (GWR) Results of Environmental Stressors” was presented at the bi-annual New York State GeoCon Conference in October, 2015 in Albany, NY.
- Presented a poster paper, co-authored by fellow NOAA-CREST students, Frederic Hsu, Tania Torres, Alissa Magana, and Arquimidez Hernandez, Investigations of the Los Angeles Urban Heat Island, at the NOAA NESDIS Cooperative Research Program (CoRP) 11th Annual Science Symposium at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD, September 16-17, 2015.
THEME II- WEATHER AND ATMOSPHERE
- Froidevaux, L., Anderson, J., Wang, H.-J., Fuller, R. A., Schwartz, M. J., Santee, M. L., Livesey, N. J., Pumphrey, H. C., Bernath, P. F., Russell III, J. M., and McCormick, M. P.: Global OZone Chemistry And Related Datasets for the Stratosphere (GOZCARDS): methodology and sample results with a focus on HCl, H2O, and O3, Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 15, 5849-5957, doi:10.5194/acpd-15-5849-2015, in Press.
- Gutierrez E., J.E. González, M. Arend, R. Bornstein, and A. Martilli (2015).On the anthropogenic heat fluxes using an air conditioning evaporative cooling parameterization for mesoscale urban canopy models.J. of Solar Energy Engineering, 137; doi: 10.1115/1.4030854.
- Gutierrez, E., A. Martilli, J.L. Santiago, J.E. González. (2015). A mechanical drag coefficient formulation and urban canopy parameters assimilation technique for complex urban environments.Boundary Layer Meteorology, June 2015.doi: 10.1007/s10546-015-0051-7.
- Harris, N. R. P., Hassler, B., Tummon, F., Bodeker, G. E., Hubert, D., Petropavlovskikh, I., Steinbrecht, W., Anderson, J., Bhartia, P. K., Boone, C. D., Bourassa, A., Davis, S. M., Degenstein, D., Delcloo, A., Frith, S. M., Froidevaux, L., Godin-Beekmann, S., Jones, N., Kurylo, M. J., Kyrölä, E., Laine, M., Leblanc, S. T., Lambert, J.-C., Liley, B., Mahieu, E., Maycock, A., de Mazière, M., Parrish, A., Querel, R., Rosenlof, K. H., Roth, C., Sioris, C., Staehelin, J., Stolarski, R. S., Stübi, R., Tamminen, J., Vigouroux, C., Walker, K., Wang, H. J., Wild, J., and Zawodny, J. M.: Past changes in the vertical distribution of ozone – Part 3: Analysis and interpretation of trends, Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 15, 8565-8608, doi:10.5194/acpd-15-8565-2015, 2015, in Press.
- Hosannah,N., H. Parsiani, and J.E González, “The Role of Aerosols in Convective Processes during the Midsummer Drought in the Caribbean,” Advances in Meteorology, doi:10.1155/2015/261239 (Accepted)
- Hosannah,N., J.E. González, H. Parsiani, and D. Comarazamy, “A Simplified Vertical Aerosol PSD Data Ingestion Technique in a Cloud-Resolving Atmospheric Model” (Submitted to Journal of Hydrometeorology)
- Hosannah,N., J.E. González, R. Solis, H. Parsiani, F. Moshary, L. Aponte, R. Armstrong, B. Bornstein, E. Harmsen, L. León, V. Morris, D. Niyogi, P. Ramamurthy, N. Ramírez, E. Rodriguez, R. Davis, M. Angeles, and W. Peña “The Convective, Aerosol, and Synoptic-Effects in the Tropics (CAST) Experiment” (Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society Proposal Accepted)
- Hosannah,N., J.E. González, R. Solis, H. Parsiani, F. Moshary, L. Aponte, R. Armstrong, B. Bornstein, E. Harmsen, L. León, V. Morris, D. Niyogi, P. Ramamurthy, N. Ramírez, E. Rodriguez, R. Davis, M. Angeles, and W. Peña “The Convective, Aerosol, and Synoptic-Effects in the Tropics (CAST) Experiment” (Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society Proposal Accepted).
- Loughman, R., D. Flittner, E. Nyaku, and P.K. Bhartia, “Gauss–Seidel limb scattering (GSLS) radiative transfer model development in support of the Ozone Mapping and Profiler Suite (OMPS) limb profiler mission”, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 15, 3007-3020, 2015.
- Nabin Malakar, Nazmi Chowdhury, Barry Gross, Fred Moshary" Impacts of surface albedo models on high-resolution AOD retrieval", Proceedings SPIE Remote Sensing Europe Sept 2016
- Nair, P., L. Froidevaux, J. Kuttippurath, J. Zawodny, J.M. Russell III, W. Steinbrecht, C. Hans, T. Leblanc, J.A.E. van Gijsel, B.J. Johnson, D. Swart, A. Thomas, R. Querel, H.J. Wang, and J. Anderson, Subtropical and mid-latitude ozone trends in the stratosphere: implications for recovery, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 2015, in Press.
- Nathan Hosannah, Hamed Parsiani, and Jorge E. Gonzalez (2015).The role of aerosols in convective processes during the midsummer drought in the Caribbean.Advances in Meteorology. Vol. 2015.http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/261239.
- Orozco, D., R. Delgado, D. Wesloh, R. J. Powers and R. Hoff (2015), Aerosol particulate matter in the Baltimore metropolitan area: temporal variation over a six-year period, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, doi: 10.1080/10962247.2015.1067653, 2015.
- Sullivan, J. T., T. J. McGee, R. De Young, G. K. Sumnicht, L. W. Twigg, D. Pliutau, W. Carrion, and T. Knepp (2015), Results from the NASA GSFC and LaRC ozone lidar intercomparison: New mobile tools for atmospheric research, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, accepted.
- J. T. Sullivan, T. J. McGee, A. M. Thompson, R. Bradley Pierce, G. K. Sumnicht, L. W. Twigg, E. Eloranta, R. M. Hoff, “Characterizing the lifetime and occurrence of stratospheric-tropospheric exchange events in the rocky mountain region using high-resolution ozone measurements”, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 120:10.1002/jgrd.v120.24, 12410-12424, 2015.
- Payne,B., Ackley, R. & Arend, M. (2015, September). A proposed rapid method for measuring area methane emissions: An exploratory application in Manhattan, New York, USA. Proceedings of the Third Global Academic Meeting, GAM 2015, New York, New York, USA. pp. 31-52. ISBN978-608-4642-44-2.Retrievedfrom http://eujournal.org/files/journals/1/books/GAM.NY.2015.pdf.
- Prathap Ramamurthy and Eric Pardyjak, “Turbulent Transport of Carbon Dioxide Over a Highly Vegetated Suburban Neighborhood”, (Boun. Layer Meterol., 2015)
- Prathap Ramamurthy, Elie Bou-Zeid, Ting Sun and Keith Rule, "Joint Influence of Albedo and Insulation on Roof Performance: Observations”, (Energy & Buildings, 2015)
- Prathap Ramamurthy, Elie Bou-Zeid, Ting Sun and Keith Rule, "Joint Influence of Albedo and Insulation on Roof Performance: Modeling Study”, (Energy & Buildings, 2015)
- Eric Teitelbaum, Prathap Ramamurthy et. al., “ECCENTRIC Buildings: Evaporative Cooling in Constructed Envelopes by Transmission and Retention Inside Casings of Buildings”, (IBPC, 2015)
- Chowdhury Nazmi, Barry Gross, Fred Moshary,Yonghua Wu, Assessment of aerosol plume dispersion products, and their usefulness to improve models between satellite aerosol retrieval and surface PM2.5, Proceeding of 14th Annual CMAS Conference, Chapel Hill, NC, October 5-7, 2015.
- Yonghua Wu, Zaw Han, Chowdhury Nazmi, Barry Gross, Fred Moshary, A trans-Pacific Asian dust episode and its impacts to air quality in the east coast of U.S., Atmospheric Environment, Volume 106, April 2015, Pages 358-368, ISSN 1352-2310, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.02.013.
- Barry Gross (2015) SPIE Remote Sensing Europe Tolouse France (Sept 2015).
- Gutierrez, Estatio; Gonzalez, Jorge; Martilli, Alberto; Arend, Mark; Bornstein, Robert.A New Parameterization for Surface Heat Fluxes in Dense Urban Environments.Presented at the 9th International Conference of Urban Climatology (ICUC9), Toulouse, France, July 20-24, 2015.
- Jia Su, M. Patrick McCormick and Liqiao Lei, "Research of relation between cloud temperature and optical depth using rotational-vibrational Raman lidar" at the 27th International Laser Radar Conference, CUNY, NY, NY,2015.
- Melecio-Vazquez, David; Gonzalez-Cruz, Jorge; Arend, Mark; Gutierrez, Estatio; Dempsey, Mark; Booth, James.New York Metro-Area Boundary Layer Catalogue: Boundary Layer Height and Stability Conditions from Long-Term Observations.Presented at the 9th International Conference of Urban Climatology (ICUC9), Toulouse, France, July 20-24, 2015.
- Ortiz, Luis E; Gonzalez Jorge E; Wu, Wei; Bornstein, Robert; Schoonen, Martin; Tongue, Jeffrey.Modeling New York City impacts on local and suburban weather during the July 2010 heat wave, Presented at the 9th International Conference of Urban Climatology (ICUC9), Toulouse, France, July 20-24, 2015.Awarded Best Poster Presentation Award of the Conference.
- Steven Buckner, A poster entitled “Using lidar to examine extinction coefficients and raman scattering” was presented at the NOAA CREST External Advisory Board Meeting, NOAA NESDIS, May, 2015.
- Yajuan Li,Shalei Song, Yong Yang,Faquan Li, Xuewu Cheng, Zhenwei Chen, Linmei Liu, M. PatrickMcCormick and Shunsheng Gong, "Pure rotational raman lidar for temperature measurements from 5-40 km over Wuhan, China" at the 27th International Laser Radar Conference, CUNY, NY, NY,2015.
- Yehisson Tibana, Estatio Gutierrez, M. Arend, J.E. Gonzalez.Building Peak Load Management with High Resolution Weather Data.Proceedings of the ASME 2015 Power and Energy Conversion Conference.June 28-July 2, 2015, San Diego, California, Paper no. POWERENERGY2015-49233.
- Carlos R. Wah, Leyda Leon, Jose Colom; TROPICAL RAINFALL RATE RELATIONS ASESSMENTS FROM DUAL POLARIZED X-BAND WEATHER RADAR, AMS 37th Conference on Radar Meteorology, Norman, OK, 14 – 18 September 2015
- Yonghua Wu, Chowdhury Nazmi, Tricia Li, Daniel Hoyos, Barry Gross, Fred Moshary, Observation of Smoke and Dust Plume Transport and Impact on the Air Quality Remote Sensing in New York City, 11th NOAA/NESDIS Cooperative Research Program (CoRP) Science Symposium, University of Maryland at College Park, MD, Sept. 16 -17, 2015.
- Fred Moshary, Yonghua Wu, Zaw Han, Chowdhury Nazmi, Barry Gross, Observation of Dust and Smoke Plume Transport and Impact on Remote Sensing of Air Quality in New York City, AGU Fall Meeting, A23C-0336, San Francisco, CA, 14-18 Dec. 2015.
- Zaw Han, Yonghua Wu, Barry Gross, Fred Moshary, The effect of anthropogenic aerosols on cloud properties and climate forcings, 11th NOAA/NESDIS Cooperative Research Program (CoRP) Science Symposium, University of Maryland at College Park, MD, Sept. 16 -17, 2015.
- C. Nazmi, B. Gross, Y. Wu, F. Moshary, 2015, “Assessment of aerosol plume dispersion products and their usefulness to improve models between satellite aerosol retrieval and surface PM2.5”, October, 2015, 14th Annual CMAS Conference, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Barry Gross, Chowdhury Nazmi, Fred Moshary, Sam Lightstone, “ Assessing the use of VIIRS Aerosol Intermediate Product for AOD retrieval and PM25 concentrations. “ (A43A-0251 AGU Conference Dec 2015)
THEME III- LAND PROCESSES AND WATER RESOURCES
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Booth, J. F., H. Reider, D. E. Lee, Y. Kushnir, 2015: The paths of extratropical cyclones associated with wintertime high wind events in the Northeast United States. Journal of Applied Meterol. and Clim.
- Etienne E, N Devineni, R Khanbilvardi and U Lall, (2015) Development of a demand sensitive drought index and its application to agriculture in the continental United States, Journal of Hydrology, 2015.
- Jose Infante Corona, Jonathan Muñoz, Tarendra Lakhankar, Peter Romanov, Reza Khanbilvardi (2015) Evaluation of the Snow Thermal Model (SNTHERM) through CREST-SAFE long-term field experiment, accepted to Geosciences.
- Khalyani, A.H., W.A. Gould, E.W. Harmsen, A.Terando, M. Quinones, and J. Collazo. Climate change implications for tropical islands: Interpolating and interpreting statistically downscaled GCM projections for management and planning. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology. (accepted pending minor revisions)
- Krakauer, N.Y.; Pradhanang, S.M.; Panthi, J.; Lakhankar, T.; A.K. Jha (2015), Probabilistic Precipitation Estimation with a Satellite Product. Climate, 3, pages 329-348.
- Pérez Díaz, C. L., Lakhankar, T., Romanov, P., Muñoz, J., Khanbilvardi, R., and Yu, Y.: Near–surface air temperature and snow skin temperature comparison from CREST-SAFE station data with MODIS land surface temperature data, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 12, 7665-7687, doi:10.5194/hessd-12-7665-2015, 2015.
- Victor H. Ramirez and Eric W. Harmsen, 2015. Water Vapor Flux Models for Agriculture, Chapter 2 in Research Advances in Sustainable Micro Irrigation Vol. 5, Applications of Furrow and Micro Irrigation in Arid and Semi-Arid Regions, M. R. Goyal, editor. Apple Academic Press, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group. ISBN 978-1-77188-089-3, p 297.
- Bruce Chapman, Kyle McDonald, Masanobu Shimada, Ake Rosenqvist, Ronny Schroeder, and Laura Hess, 2015. Mapping Regional Inundation with Spaceborne L-Band SAR. Remote Sens. 2015, 7, 5440-5470; doi:10.3390/rs70505440
- Colle, B. A., J. F. Booth, E. K. M. Chang, (2015) A review of historical and future changes of extratropical cyclones and associated impacts along the U.S. east coast. Current Climate Change Reports. Current Climate Change Reports 1, 125-143.
- Pérez Díaz, C.L.; Lakhankar, T.; Romanov, P.; Khanbilvardi, R.; Y. Yu (2015) Evaluation of VIIRS Land Surface Temperature Using CREST-SAFE Air, Snow Surface, and Soil Temperature Data. Geosciences 2015, 5, 334-360.
- Corona, J.A.I.; Muñoz, J.; Lakhankar, T.; Romanov, P.; R. Khanbilvardi (2015) Evaluation of the Snow Thermal Model (SNTHERM) through Continuous in situ Observations of Snow’s Physical Properties at the CREST-SAFE Field Experiment. Geosciences, 5, 310-333.
- Asadieh, B., and Krakauer, N.Y., (2015) "Global trends in extreme precipitation: climate models versus observations", Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 19(2), 877-891.
- Eric Harmsen, presentation at conference on Drought and Climate Change, 23-24, April, 2015. Universidad Metropolitano, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Sponsored by the Department of Natural Resources and Environment of Puerto Rico.
- Eric Harmsen, presentation for the Scientific Advisory Board for the Puerto Rico Drought at the San Juan Office of the National Weather Service, June 2015.
- Salazar, C., I. Narvaez, L. Hernández, and N. D. Ramirez-Beltran. (2015) Linear Programming to Reduce Cycle Time in a High Mix-Low Volume Reconditioning Line. Proceedings of the 2015 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference S. Cetinkaya and J. K. Ryan, eds May 30- June 2, 2015, Nashville Tenessee
- Tarendra Lakhankar, Peter Romanov, and Reza Khanbilvardi (2015) Continuous in Situ Observations of Snow Physical Properties and Microwave Emission, presented at 72nd Eastern Snow Conference, Quebec, Canada from June 9-11, 2015.
- S. Kraatz, N. Devineni, R. Khanbilvardi (2015), River ice monitoring (AQUA) via screening-in thin cloud data and its validation, NOAA/NESDIS CoRP 11th Annual Science Symposium, (September 16-17, 2015).
- S. Kraatz, N. Devineni, R. Khanbilvardi (2015), Observing river ice in presence of thin clouds (MODIS, 2013/14), 14th Annual CREST Advisory & Scientific Board Meeting, (May 28, 2015).
- S. Kraatz, N. Devineni, R. Khanbilvardi (2015), Observing river ice in presence of thin clouds (MODIS, 2013/14), CREST-NESDIS Technical Meeting, (May 7, 2015).
- McDonald K C, Climate in Context, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, NY , 13 March 2015
- McDonald K C, Tidal wetlands as sources and sinks of carbon in a changing world: Remote Sensing, Measurements and Modeling of Wetland-Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions project team meeting, Annapolis., Maryland, 23-24 March 2015
- McDonald K C, NASA Carbon Cycle and Ecosystems workshop, College Park, Maryland, 20-24 April 2015.
- McDonald K C, NASA Terrestrial; Ecology Program Meeting, Greenbelt, MD, 20-22 April 2015
- McDonald K C, NASA Biodiversity and Ecological Forecasting Team Meeting, College Park, MD, 22-23 April 2015
- McDonald K C, NASA Marine Biodiversity Observation Network Team Meeting, College Park, MD, 24 April 2015
- McDonald K C, AGU Chapman Conference on California Drought: Causes, Impacts, and Policy. The conference will be hosted in Irvine, California, 20-22 April 2015.
- McDonald K C, First International Conference on the Historical Links between USA and Spain: Past, Present and Future, Alcala de Henares, Spain, 9-11 April 2015
- McDonald K C, NOAA CREST Joint Technical Meeting, NOAA NESIDS, College Park, Maryland, 7 May 2015
- McDonald K C, SEDAC User Working Group meeting, New York, NY, 18-19 May 2015
- McDonald K C, CLIMA-INFO USAID project team meeting, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 8-9 June 2015.
- McDonald K C, Atlantic Forest-Biota team meeting, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 22-26 June 2015
- McDonald K C, International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society annual meeting, Milan, Italy, 26-31 July 2015
- Vidal Salcedo Julio I. (2015); A climate informed predictive model for extreme precipitation in Puerto Rico, SHPE Conference; Baltimore, MD; Nov 11 - Nov 15.
- Sánchez Robledo Hiram A., Lakhankar T, Pérez Díaz C.L., and R Khanbilvardi (2015) Understanding the Impact of Snowpack Temperature on Albedo and Radiation using CREST-SAFE Field Experiment Observation, SHPE Conference; Baltimore, MD; Nov 11 - Nov 15.
- Pérez Díaz C.L., Lakhankar T., Romanov P., Muñoz J., Khanbilvardi R. and Y. Yu (2015) CREST-SAFE Field Experiment: Comparison of snow surface and near-surface air temperature with MODIS land surface temperature, SHPE Conference; Baltimore, MD; Nov 11 - Nov 15.
- Devineni, N. (2015, December). An integrated statistical–physical modeling approach for multivariate flood risk assessment. In 2015 AGU Fall Meeting.
- Christian Campo, Hamidreza Norouzi, Marouane Temimi, Tarendra Lakhankar and Reza Khanbilvardi (2015). Satellite Based Soil Moisture Product Validation Using NOAA-CREST Ground and L-Band Observations, AGU Fall Meeting.
- Rowan Antony Bado, B. M Fekete, and R. Khanbilvardi, (2015). Modeling the Hydrologic Effects of Large-Scale Green Infrastructure Projects with GIS, AGU Fall Meeting.
- Hamidi, A. (2015). Classifying Intensity and Area of Extreme Rainfall Events in Greater New York Area Using Weather Radar Data. In 2015 AGU Fall Meeting.
THEME IV- COASTAL AND OCEAN
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Y. Gu, C. Carrizo, A. El-Habashi, and A. Gilerson, “Analysis of Polarimetric Image by Full Stokes Vector Imaging Camera for Retrieval of Target Polarization in Underwater Environment,” Proc. of SPIE, 9459, 2015.
- Ibrahim, A. Gilerson, J. Chowdhary, S. Ahmed, “Retrieval of macro- and micro-physical properties of oceanic hydrosols from polarimetric observations,” Remote Sensing of Environment, submitted.
- Samir Ahmed, Vincius De Paula, Alexander Gilerson, Soe Hlaing, Menghua Wang, Robert Arnone “Factors affecting radiometric calibration of ocean color satellite sensors using AERONET-OC data” SPIE 9459, 2015
- William Hernandez and Roy Armstrong. In Review. Deriving bathymetry from multispectral remote sensing data near the limits of detection. Submitted to Journal Remote Sensing of the Environment
- William Hernandez and Roy Armstrong. In Prep. Using high-resolution bottom albedo images and object-based classification to improve benthic habitat maps. Journal of Physical Geography
- Wei, J., Z. Lee, M. Lewis, N. Pahlevan, M. Ondrusek, and R. Armstrong. (2015) Radiance transmittance measured at the ocean surface. Optics Express 23(9): 11826-11837.
- Hosannah, N., J. González, H. Parsiani, D. Comarazamy, and R. Armstrong. In Review. Effects of Aerosol PSD Data Assimilation on Precipitation Prediction in Western Puerto Rico using a Cloud-Resolving Atmospheric Model. Weather and Forecasting Journal.
- Armstrong, R.A. In Press. “Optical Remote Sensing of Coral Reef Communities: New Approaches in Optically-Deep Waters” for the book “Seafloor Mapping along Continental Shelves: Research and Techniques for Visualizing Benthic Environments”,
- Garcia-Moliner, G., R.A. Armstrong and M.J. Cerame Vivas. In Press. Essential Fish Habitats of the Deep – Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Published by the Caribbean Fishery Management Council, NOAA.
- P. C. Brady, A. A. Gilerson, G. W. Kattawar, J. M. Sullivan, M. S. Twardowski, H. M. Dierssen, M. Gao, K. Travis , R. I. Etheredge, A. Tonizzo, A. Ibrahim, C. Carrizo, Y. Gu, B. Russell, K. Mislinski,S. Zhao, and M. E. Cummings, “Open ocean fish reveal an omnidirectional solution to camouflage in polarized environments,” Science, 350, 965-969, 2015.
- A. Gilerson, M. Ondrusek, M. Tzortziou, R. Foster, A. El-Habashi, S. P. Tiwari and S. Ahmed, “Multi-band algorithms for the estimation of chlorophyll concentration in the Chesapeake Bay,” Proc. of SPIE 9638, 2015.
- Wei, J., Z.P. Lee, M. Lewis,N. Pahlevan,M. Ondrusek, and R. Armstrong.2015. Radiance transmittance measured at the ocean surface. Optics Express 23(9): 13 pp.
- R. Foster, A. Ibrahim, A. Gilerson, A. El-Habashi, C. Carrizo, S. Ahmed,” Characterization of Sun and sky glint from wind rued sea surfaces for improved estimation of polarized remote sensing reflectance,” Proc. of SPIE 9613, 2015.
- Hansong Tang, Ke Qu, and Anil Agrawal (2015) Domain Decomposition for Simulation of Small-scale Coastal Ocean Flows. 12th Annual Conference on Frontiers in Applied and Computational Mathematics (FACM '15), NJIT, June 5 -- 6, 2015
- Hansong Tang, Ke Qu, and Anil Agrawal (2015) Simulation of Multiscale and Multiphysics Coastal Ocean Flows by Integration of Geophysical Fluid Dynamics and Fully 3D Fluid Dynamics Models SIAM Conference on Mathematics and Computational Issues in the Geosciences, June 29 - July 2, 2015, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Gilerson Alex (2015) Hyperspectral Imaging and Sounding of the Environment (Opt. Soc. of America), CA, March 2015
- Gilerson Alex (2015) SPIE Security and Defense, Baltimore, MD, Apr 2015
- Gilerson Alex (2015) SPIE Optics and Photonics, San Diego, CA, Aug 2015.
- William Hernandez Doctoral Thesis Defense, June 15, 2015. "Benthic Habitat Mapping and Bio-Optical Characterization of La Parguera Marine Reserve Using Passive and Active Remote Sensing Data".
- William Hernandez and Roy Armstrong. 2015. Benthic Habitat Mapping and Bio-Optical Characterization of La Parguera Marine Reserve Using Passive and Active Remote Sensing Data. Poster Presentation, CREST External Science Advisory Board meeting - May 28, NCWCP College Park, MD